About the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP)
The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) is a post-induction programme for University of Leeds staff who make a significant contribution to Student Education at Leeds. The programme is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA), and successful completion will result in the award of Fellowship of the HEA (FHEA).
The programme is heavily grounded in participants’ current academic practice and is, therefore, strongly ‘work-based’ in its philosophy and approach. Participants’ own experience of student education forms the basis of the learning.
The PGCAP will be running fully online for the intake in February 2021. As well as the continued goals of the programme, our aim in providing the course in this mode will further support colleagues in their transition to delivering teaching online and to be well placed to deliver in a variety of modes. By modelling good practice, allowing participants to experience approaches from a student’s perspective, providing space and time for reflection on our changed environment and offering opportunities to gain further skills, we hope to help colleagues grow in confidence across this developing digital education landscape.
The PGCAP programme
The PGCAP comprises three 20 M level credit modules to be studied part time over 18 months.
The programme aims are to provide an opportunity to:
- develop your understanding of teaching excellence within HE and within your discipline
- develop as a reflective practitioner, through engaging with conceptual frameworks for reflection on practice
- engage critically with the literature on the pedagogy of higher education and the scholarship of learning and teaching, to enhance practice
- stimulate the development of creative, innovative and effective pedagogies, to engage and inspire your students
- provide a space for professional dialogue around student education and contribute to the development of the student education community at Leeds
- demonstrate your achievement against the requirements of the UK Professional Standards Framework for Teaching and Supporting Learning (UKPSF), providing a pathway to HEA Fellowship.
Fellowship of the HEA
The PGCAP is one of the routes we offer to gaining Fellowship of the HEA (FHEA). You may wish to consider this route if you’re looking to develop your student education practice. In contrast, if you have over two years student education practice the PRiSE (Professional Recognition in Student Education) scheme is also an available route to gaining Fellowship. We have produced a short guide (available below) to selecting the most appropriate route for you.
Apply for the PGCAP
We are now accepting applications for the February 2021 PGCAP intake. The February course will be a fully online PGCAP experience. Please read through all of the information provided below for further details about the course. The closing date for applications is 31st October 2020.
- PGCAP programme information Feb 2021 (open in Word)
- PGCAP supporting statement template (open in Word)
- Applicant guidance Feb 2021 (open in Word)
- HoD DSE guidance Feb 2021 (open in Word)
- Workplace mentor guidance (open in Word)
- PGCAP FAQs (open in Word)
- Submitting an online application (open in Powerpoint)
Find out more
If you have any questions about the above or our student education practice development in general, including our bespoke provision, please select from the following:
Webpage last updated: 20/04/20 | Maintained by: OD&PL Webmaster