About the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP)
The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) is a post-induction programme for University of Leeds staff who make a significant contribution to Student Education at Leeds. The programme is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA), and successful completion will result in the award of Fellowship of the HEA (FHEA).
The programme is heavily grounded in participants’ current academic practice and is, therefore, strongly ‘work-based’ in its philosophy and approach. Participants’ own experience of student education forms the basis of the learning.
The PGCAP programme
The PGCAP comprises three 20 M level credit modules to be studied part time over 18 months.
The programme aims are to provide an opportunity to:
- develop your understanding of teaching excellence within HE and within your discipline
- develop as a reflective practitioner, through engaging with conceptual frameworks for reflection on practice
- engage critically with the literature on the pedagogy of higher education and the scholarship of learning and teaching, to enhance practice
- stimulate the development of creative, innovative and effective pedagogies, to engage and inspire your students
- provide a space for professional dialogue around student education and contribute to the development of the student education community at Leeds
- demonstrate your achievement against the requirements of the UK Professional Standards Framework for Teaching and Supporting Learning (UKPSF), providing a pathway to HEA Fellowship.
Fellowship of the HEA
The PGCAP is one of the routes we offer to gaining Fellowship of the HEA (FHEA). You may wish to consider this route if you’re looking to develop your student education practice. In contrast, if you have over two years student education practice the PRiSE (Professional Recognition in Student Education) scheme is also an available route to gaining Fellowship. We have produced a short guide (available below) to selecting the most appropriate route for you.
Apply for the PGCAP
The PGCAP programme runs twice a year, beginning in either September or February. For the September start, the deadline for applications is 30 April. For the February start the deadline is 31 October.
- Applications are submitted online via the Applicant Portal
- Programme information (opens in OneDrive)
- Supporting statement (opens in OneDrive)
- Applicant guidance September 2019 (opens in OneDrive)
- Guidance for Heads of School, Department and Director of Student Education (opens in OneDrive)
- Workplace Mentor guidance September 2019 (opens in OneDrive)
- Frequently Asked Questions (opens in OneDrive)
- Submitting an online application ( PDF opens in OneDrive)
- Leeds Curriculum (webpage)
- Inclusive teaching (website)
- Reflection (website)
- Academic Skills (Library website)
Find out more
If you have any questions about the above or our student education practice development in general, including our bespoke provision, please select from the following:
Webpage last updated: 05/04/19 | Maintained by: OD&PL Webmaster