Professional skills development
The ongoing professional skills development of our staff and postgraduate researchers is a priority embedded in our University strategy. We offer a range of developmental opportunities, to support you with your professional skills. Explore the information below to find out more and book on the workshops which are especially relevant to your needs.
Communicating with impact
Suitability: please refer to the course booking information
We offer courses to help develop writing skills for a range of contexts, especially relevant to scientific writing and writing for research.
- Shut up and write!: learn more and book
- Moving your writing on (STEM): learn more and book
- Moving your writing on (Arts, Humanities and Social Scientists): learn more and book
Writing for the Web
Suitability: staff who write content for, manage, edit or author websites
These sessions aim to enable you to get your message across in the media, in your communications and on the web, in order to increase awareness of their work, its impact and our University.
Suitability: all staff and postgraduate researchers. Some courses are required for all colleagues managing institutional channels (see below).
The Going Social mini-programme provides an opportunity for you to develop your professional skills in the digital space. Learn how to review, protect and maintain your digital identity by attending the Your Digital Identity workshop. So, if you are interested in using social media, we explore approaches to using key social media platforms.
- Your Digital Identity: learn more and book
- Raising Your Professional Profile: learn more and book
- Social Media for University Business: learn more and book*
- Your Social Media Strategy: learn more and book*
*Required for all colleagues managing and supporting institutional channels
Other communicating with technology development
We offer a range of development to support use of lecture capture and the desktop recorder, and Collaborate and facilitating webinars. Further information is available on the:
Personal effectiveness at work
Suitability: staff and researchers (except postgraduate researchers)
Everyone has a unique combination of skills, talents, and knowledge – also known as strengths. In this 3 hour workshop you will explore and understand your individual strengths using the popular Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment. This interactive workshop requires you to complete an online assessment 5 days before the workshop using a unique code that will be sent to you.
Agendas, Minutes and Meetings
Suitability: aimed at support staff, but it is suitable for all staff required to service meetings.
This workshop will enable you to improve your skills in setting agendas, taking minutes and arranging meetings. As a result, you should be able to service meetings effectively.
- You can access a range of useful online resources in Minerva by self-enrolling on the OD&PL Professional Skills organisation.
- Equality and inclusion: an introduction for all colleagues – online module (Equality and Policy Unit website)
- Getting Started with Social Media (website)
- Social Media Managers at Leeds Yammer group (webpage)
- Delivering Results website
- Skills@Library (Library website)
- IT Training (IT website)
- Wellbeing, Safety and Health website
Find out more
If you have any questions about the above or our professional skills development in general, including our bespoke provision, please e-mail email@example.com.
Webpage last updated: 22/09/19 | Maintained by: OD&PL Webmaster