Leadership development at Leeds
Our University’s Strategic Plan sets out an ambitious roadmap, which needs the contribution of skilled and confident leaders at every level. As a result, we are committed to delivering a flexible, high quality range of continuous professional development to support our community leaders.
Our leadership provision
Our leadership development provision is underpinned by our Leadership Excellence Behaviours Framework and includes:
- structured leadership programmes
- individual workshops
- a range of online resources.
We hope that you will find the support that you need, to continue to develop and grow as a leader here at Leeds, whether you are new to your leadership role, or have held leadership positions for a number of years.
Suitability: all staff with people management responsibilities
Management Essentials is a blend of online resources and short, practical workshops which address core people management processes and skills. These workshops cover a range of topics from effective recruitment through to enabling performance improvement.
First steps in leadership
Suitability: for all staff whose role requires the input and collaboration from colleagues across the University – either inside or outside their work area.
Many of us are in roles, and have objectives, which involve obtaining the engagement, expertise, and support from others. This can be challenging, particularly if you do not have the mandate to delegate directly. Bringing people on board and gaining their contributions requires fundamental leadership competencies. This programme focuses on these, and will enable you to practice approaches and techniques designed to develop, and enhance, your leadership abilities – so you can successfully achieve what you set out to do.
- First steps in leadership application: personal development intent application form (opens in OneDrive). This Word document is not fully accessible. If you need the content in an alternative format, please contact email@example.com.
Learning to Lead
Suitability: all staff new to a leadership role or with limited formal leadership/management experience
Learning to Lead is a short, experiential development programme. It is made up of a series of half-day workshops where you can also explore key aspects of leadership. These include: leading self, leading teams and managing change.
- Learning to lead: open and download the application form (opens in OneDrive) This Word document is not fully accessible. If you need the content in an alternative format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leadership in Practice
Suitability: experienced, mid-level leaders in academic and professional service roles
This programme is designed to raise self-awareness and encourages you to see yourself as part of our wider leadership community. In addition to the experiential workshops, the programme includes participation in peer learning groups, elective modules and a 360 degree feedback tool. All of our current cohorts are now full; if you are eligible and would like to participate in this programme, please select the link below and register your interest. Further information is available in the leadership development brochure at the bottom of the page.
Leadership Excellence Programme
Suitability: senior academic and professional services leaders via invitation
The Leadership Excellence Programme explores some of the complex challenges presented by leading across our university and also provides opportunities for working collaboratively, to address them. The programme includes psychometric tools, peer learning groups, elective modules in addition to access to an external coach.
Participation in this programme is by invitation from the Vice-Chancellor. Further information is available in the leadership development brochure at the bottom of the page.
- Strategic Plan 2015-2020 (Corporate publications page)
- Leadership Excellence Behaviours Framework website
- HR have designed and developed a recruitment guide to help you, step by step, through the recruitment and selection process: HR management guidance on recruitment
- Sustainability in Practice: Role of the Manager Training (Sustainability website)
- Further useful resources and courses are available on the Professional skills page
Find out more
If you have any questions about the above or our leadership development in general, including our bespoke provision, please select from the following:
*The Leadership Development Leaflet (PDF) is not fully accessible. If you need the content in an alternative format, please contact email@example.com.
Webpage last updated: 22/09/19 | Maintained by: OD&PL Webmaster