How can you help?
Our belonging toolkit is designed to support you to facilitate a sense of belonging.
Every single interaction is important, no matter how small. Connections are the pathway to belonging. By understanding the power of micro affirmations and actions we strengthen inclusiveness across our diverse community.
University of Leeds welcomes staff and students from a diverse range of backgrounds and educational routes. Acknowledging, respecting and learning from this rich diversity is a vital part of facilitating sense of belonging. You can help create a more inclusive community by recognizing this richness and reflecting their reality in resources and materials. Historically universities have marginalised the university experiences of students from minoritised and marginalised backgrounds – this includes students who are parents, carers, part-time, estranged from their families, commuters, more mature. It is our responsibility to make sure every student feels they are seen, respected, and that they belong. In our words and actions we can show all students that they earned their place at Leeds, we believe they can succeed, and we believe they matter.
Every student is likely to need help to:
- Find their way around unfamiliar campus and virtual learning environments
- Understand how to contact and address staff
- Join and leave in person or online formal sessions
- Acquire skills to meaningfully contribute and ask questions
- Understand activities and systems that are not familiar to them
- Meaningfully connect with students and staff
Create belonging in specific contexts
Explore these links for suggestions of how to help create belonging in specific contexts: